The wheel was invented 5,000 years ago. But the same basic principles of the wheel are still in use today because they still works.
Writing web content is very much like the wheel because it uses basic formulas invented long before the Internet. But they keep rolling words into cash on the Internet because they still work.
The five formulas covered in this post can be used to write any type of content. But this post will teach you how to use them to create cash making web content that converts.
1. The Inverted Pyramid Formula
Write.com says in an excellent post that: “The inverted pyramid style of writing from journalism is well-suited to online content. You present the most important information first. This style of writing flips the traditional workflow of writing.”
The inverted pyramid style of writing is what all major U.S. newspapers are written in. And with this formula, the most important information is placed first, and other information is written in a descending order of importance.
Like all good content, this formula starts with a compelling headline to pull your prospect into the body copy of your content. This can make the difference between your page being read or simply ignored by your prospect.
2. The Classic ADIA Formula
Moz Pro uses this formula in a fantastic landing page, which is a great illustration of how to effectively use this clear and direct formula in your web content.
The ADIA formula is one of the most often used web content formulas of all time. In its current form, it was first used in the early part of the 1900’s to sell products and services.
Here is how to use it:
- Attention: Grab the prospects attention in such a way that they stop dead in their tracks and takes notice of your marketing message and what you have to offer.
- Interest: Make them interested in what you have because they can see that it is clearly for them because it solves a problem or fills a need they have.
- Desire: Speak to their heart and mind and make their hopes and dreams come alive and breathe. In short, make them want your product or service because it fills a deep need or desire they have.
- Action: Get them to take action and purchase what you have to offer. HubSpot provides 13 CTA’s in this great post to help you get them to take the next step in the process.
This classic formula is a very effective tool in the Internet age for creating fantastic web content that converts.
3. The PAS Formula
Echantingmarketing.com quoted Dan Kennedy in a great post saying this about the PAS formula: “When you understand that people are more likely to act to avoid pain than to get gain, you’ll understand how powerful this first formula is. (…) It may be the most reliable sales formula ever invented.”
The PAS acronym stands for:
- Problem: Clearly identify the problem the prospect is having. Spell it all out in as much detail as possible the various ramifications of their problem and the pain they are in because of the problem.
- Agitate the problem: Take the problem your prospects have and magnify it. Make the problem more emotional, threatening, and critical for your prospects so they feel the pain of the problem magnified.
- Solution: Give your prospect a solution to their problem and pain by using your product or service. And show the beautiful new world they will inhabit because of the solution your product or service provides.
The PAS formula is indeed a very effective copywriting formula for writing web content today.
4. The Star, Story, Solution Formula
A historical example of this powerful formula is a sales letter for the Wall Street Journal written by the late Martin J. Conroy. Copyblogger.com calls it the greatest sales letter of all time.
This formula is character based because you will need a lead character in your story. Here is how to use it:
- Star: Introduce the star of your story and give them a personality that your prospects can relate to. This star does not necessarily have to be a person, but they can be a product or service too.
- Story: Tell the story of the star with the various challenges and problems the star is dealing with along the way. Make this story interesting and engaging so your prospect wants to keep reading.
- Solution: Tell how the star solved their problems and overcame challenges by using your product or service. And show the bright sunny new world the star now lives in as a result of your solution.
This formula is great for creating landing and lead generation pages because it can also be concise and to the point.
4. The PASTOR Formula
If your copywriting is not selling enough, maybe it’s because you have failed to P.A.S.T.O.R. And I’m not talking about preaching…~ Ray Edwards
This acronym stands for:
- Problem: Clearly identify the problem the prospect is having. Spell out in detail the implication of the problem and their pain because of the problem.
- Amplify: Take the problem your prospects have and make the problem more emotional and critical for the prospects, so they feel the intense pain of the problem amplified many times over.
- Story: Tell the story of your product or service. And show the wonderful new world the prospect can enjoy when they use your product or service to solve their problem.
- Testimonials: Use testimonials from satisfied customers and clients as proof that you have a valid solution to the very pressing pain and problem your prospect has.
- Offer: Create a strong offer for your product or service, which could be a money back guarantee, a price discount, a free trail, a free gift, and so on.
- Response: Get the prospect to respond to your offer by writing a strong call to action.
The PASTOR formula is a powerful tool for creating web content that can work many marketing miracles for you, without having to sit through a single sermon.
You have just learned five powerful formulas that can help you produce web content that will motivate prospects to subscribe to your list, request more information, or buy your products and services.
So, the next time you need web content don’t try to redesign the wheel. Instead, use one of these five formulas to roll your words into cash making web content that converts.
Creating the content you need can be a time consuming and frustrating process. But it doesn’t have to be because I’m here to help you. Contact me today for the content you need!